Google Can Serve you More ads by this feature |DNS over TLS|

DNS over TLS

 Like a lot of individuals , I hate advertisements. In my quest to get rid of ads the maximum amount as possible, I've installed a billboard blocker in my browser. to travel further, I've installed Pi-Hole to dam ads for all devices on my home network. Even tried setting up firewall rules to re-route all DNS traffic through Pi-Hole. This setup appeared to work pretty much until I noticed i used to be still seeing ads in an app on my Android phone.


Sometime within the last few years Google added a personal DNS feature to Android and enabled it by default. Private DNS is basically DNS over TLS (DoT), which is meant to be a privacy feature that encrypts your DNS so your network operators can't pay attention to what sites you're browsing. It sounds nice in theory, but when I'm reception , i'm the network operator, and DoT features a side-effect of creating my apps and devices ignore my carefully planned DNS settings, and bypass Pi-Hole ad blocker. The outcome is that Google can freely serve ads to my Android device.


You can turn off the Private DNS feature in Android. The bad news is that Firefox is enabling DNS over HTTPS (DoH), which may be a similar system, with similar drawbacks. Now, you've got to vary settings not only on each device's OS , but you would possibly need to individually configure every app to disable DoT/DoH. subsequent thing I'm getting to try is obstructing all traffic to public DoT/DoH servers at my firewall.